Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Crazy Workout! and the sock headband...

So Tuesdays I'm supposed to run.
Last week I got lazy, besides the fact it was pouring and we were in 30's and... I know I'm just lazy...
Anyway, I knew yesterday I wasn't going to skip my workout, so I went to get lunch to my apartment and packed my gym bag in like 30 secs, because I realized I also wanted to go to my niece's & nephew's ice skating lesson, since I'm leaving in less than a month and I miss them already!
So I realized that if I wanted to do it all, I had to get organized, since I only had 1 hour and 45 minutes till the start of the practice and I was 20 miles away, no room for error!.
I decided to change into my running gear at work, which I NEVER do, especially because I work in an Engineering company, meaning: gray haired folks, old fashioned, highly conservative, very sedentary kind of men. But since yesterday It felt more like a desert island around there, I was brave and went for it, praying all the time I wouldn't run into my boss in my way out.
I finally made up my mind about what location to choose for my running (I love romantic scenarios of Fall season!) and it was kind of half way between my office and the skating center. After all the traffic, and exasperating slow drivers in the left lane, and the school zones, I made it to the park at 4:45pm, which left me an hour away from the beginning of the half hour skate practice, and I was still 10 miles away!, so I plugged my ipod really quick, put my car key into my wrist pocket, and grabbed what I thought was my headband, closed the door behind me and rushed to get started.
20 steps later, I realized I had a sock in my hand instead of the silly headband, so I ran back to the car, looked for the real thing and got my heart monitor started, 5 minutes later!
Although with a rough start, and stressful timelines to make, the run was peaceful and wonderful. This park has Hills!!! and if you live in the Alps, or the Andes or the Rocky mountains that would be the regular stuff, well here in Dallas, everything, everywhere is flat, flat and flatter! I enjoyed those slopes as much as the cookie dough ice cream I had last Tuesday (when I slacked on my routine! I told you I got lazy!!!) and breathed in the cool air of fall, enjoyed the gorgeous palette of colors that all the trees were showing, going from yellow, to orange, red and to the old but always great green. It was magical and all 45 minutes were great... I ignored my Heart Rate, pace, and distance, and decided to go for a comfortable kind of run, turning out to be more intense than what I'd originally thought. I guess I got carried away by those damn pretty trees.
I was sitting in my car by 5:35 pm, ten minutes before the kiddos' practice, no stretching at all (which today I totally regret!) and although in a hurry, and sweaty, I was still in the high of the endorphines, and despite the horrendous traffic due to construction in the highway, I was only 5 minutes late, I changed my stinky t-shirt, put on my jacket, gloves and boots and ran into the ice ring area... but you know what? although hectic and crazy, the smiles and kisses from the little ones made every single second of that race against the clock worth it... (and they did not complain about their sweaty smelly aunt at all!) that's why I love them so much, because they love me no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment